Saturday, April 3, 2010

Gold Star Retreat


Five years ago this May, I became associated with a group called "Gold Star Mothers." This is an organization that no one wishes to join - it is mothers who have lost a child in the service of our country. The son of one of my best friends died in Iraq in May 2005. Since that time, I have had the honor of getting to know some of the local women in this group.

Last month, I was invited once again to be a part of their retreat and provide some craft activities for them. I encouraged the women ahead of time to gather some pictures together - ones that simply made them smile. With these, they created a Display Album project called "My Happy Book." Each page will bring a little bit of joy.

The other project they made featured a little Accordion Album. Some chose paper colors that went with many of the camouflage colors of their guys' gear. Some chose bright and fun papers that would later include fun family photos.

Does creativity nurture the soul? You bet. I saw it on the face of each woman there. I was grateful to be a part of the weekend.

For more information on the Gold Star organization, visit: http://www.goldstarmoms.com/

No comments: